Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Gettysburg Semester 2009 - Muster Out

Last Friday, after all us of burned the midnight oil to finish our seminar papers, we scrambled over to Rob Gibson's studio to get a Civil War era group picture taken (see below!). He briefly reviewed the history of photography and showed us the techniques he used -- and even let us play around with his camera, which was super neat. We then got dressed up and posed; staying still for fifteen seconds is, believe it or not, harder than it looks! That evening, after I took a long afternoon nap, we all went to Herr's Tavern for a final dinner together. We read Civil War poetry, enjoyed the yummy (but admittedly leisurely) meal, and said our last goodbyes to Dr. Guelzo.

Now that I'm officially finished with all of my work for the semester, it's beginning to feel like the end. It's a bit astonishing that the semester is over already; as I write this, my darling roommate is packing up her things, and it all feels a bit surreal. I will not deny that I am excited to head home and celebrate the holidays with my loved ones in a warmer climate, but I am sad that this experience is coming to a close. (It's going to be REALLY strange not talking Civil War with the people I live with all the time.) I've met many kindred spirits here and will miss them dearly, and with the good and bad, I am thankful to have spent the time here that I did. To everyone: best of luck on your adventures. Thank you to everyone who has helped me, and all of us, on this journey. It's been great!

No comments:

Post a Comment